Thursday, March 8, 2012

Story Teaser - Free Read



I woke up this morning with this in my head. Oddly I was even dreaming it in a format of a narration but wow... I had to write it out, but what to do with it after? I have enough books in the working so I decided I'll make it a free read--Story Teaser. And viola! Here it is. Enjoy but dont get yourselves too spoiled and think I'll hatch these little eggs all the time, but it may be the start of them.
by de Gerardo





Today was the day. The day the silent had waited and dreaded. The day some said would come and the other half refused to believe.
But it did come and did so today. I woke up so many hours ago mind you, startled from a deep slumber in my lover’s arms. The morning light had just barely tried to peek past the heavy curtains of our bedroom. So I tell you it was not the morning light that woke me but the violent shaking of the bed. As it thrashed shook and skidded across the floor. As did everything else in the room. Our entire surroundings seemed to hum with a loud white noise of chaos. My arms immediately clinging to both bed and David.
“Oh my god! You have earth quakes in London?” I remember stammering as he held tight to me. Pulling my body closer to shelter me. Of course I knew that wasn’t true, yet the earth was moving… and moving… and it continued to move violently for what seemed like an eternity.
That hum grew louder, a cacophony of other terrifying sounds. Crashing, people shouting, some screamed. There was the rumble of an explosion somewhere in the near distance. Another something sounded as if it had fallen from the sky. All sounds swallowed up by the mass hum in my ears. I could only hold on grateful to the soft padding of the mattress. Even as I felt the structure of the build buckle underneath us and my head on no will power of my own slammed face down in the padding   I was grateful.
And the horrific finally came. A sound like a roar of ripping and tearing, a sound so great and loud I could place a thousand words before your eyes and still not come close to describing it. It was as if the world jerked hard to the right doing its Pagani Zonda Roadster impersonation 0-60 in 2.5 seconds then slammed on the breaks. It was that fraction of a second everything in the room slammed against the wall taking David and I with it, thrown from the bed and into the wall.
And then everything was eerily silent. It was done.
 
That was several hours ago maybe even more. David was pacing across the back courtyard of our flat trying to reach someone    anyone    on his cell phone. Like everyone else in the world was likely trying to do. I just sat on one of the stone garden benches watching the sun cross the sky     in the wrong direction.
He thought I was in shock. Shocked yes, but I knew what had happened. Had always known it would happen yet I had hoped the other half were the ones who were right.
After several hundred more failed attempts he knelt before me. Checking in on me. Like a blanket of joy he was    even now. My eyes filled with the tears I fought not to shed.
“Baby? Are you okay? What is it?” gleaming blue eyes looked up at me. Fear and worry filled them creating lines over his face. His hand touched my cheek looking for the connection that said everything would be okay. This was just a nightmare and we’d both wake up back in our bed. His aroused body prodding the small of my back and of course I always surrender to it, because it was so good.
I would have rather made love to him that moment than tell him the truth. My beautiful man   so sweet and innocent. He was one of the non-believers. And I had long since learned to keep silent of what I believed and knew to be true. I grew up the black sheep of my family, my school, my work   my life. When I met David he was so gentle so protective. Not like a warrior but the rescuer who wraps a warm blanket around you, shielding you from the cold and the darkness. I loved that bliss he offered me I never said a word, not one. Never wanting to be the black sheep to him. It was the perfect respite before truth came and found me.
“Talk to me baby.” He whispered. I couldn’t refuse him. I never could.
“The earth flipped.” my voice cracked with the words I didn’t want to speak in the first place. He blinked. Poor David he thought his precious little girlfriend had flipped, but couldn’t argue with it at the moment. He raised and drew me in. Pressing me to his chest. Surrounding me with his warm hands. And the tears fell. Inside my warm blanket of David, I couldn’t help but peak out to the horrors that surrounded us. Several pillars of black smoke lined the horizon. Buildings damaged, some gone. Even the small building of our flat was leaning dangerously and would likely fall in the aftershocks that strangely didn’t come. I could hear people talking in the street around front. Sirens blared from every direction. But there was no communication systems up and running. Not the phones, not the telley, not even the radio.
It was Armageddon without the war. That was what would come next. But not in the name of god or over race. This time war would be about baser needs and at smaller levels   like gangs   fighting for shelter, water, food and ammunitions.
I thought about my family back in the states. Did they survive? That’s was where I was supposed to be. That was where I knew how to survive. But that wasn’t where I was just now. And my dear sweet David was about to get a dark slap of reality.
“Shhh everything’s going to be fine. You’ll see.” He lied so tenderly to me. I didn’t even bother to squirm away from his lies.
“David?” I barely got his name out. I really was on the edge of sobbing. I hated this moment.
“Yes baby?" I felt his lips press at the top of my head. I could have closed my eyes then and pretend he was right. I wanted to do that, just as I had for the last year, but I couldn’t. He needed to open his eyes. And I mine.

“Which way is west here?”

He almost laughed, but then remember he thought I was in shock and he was my protective blanket. “It’s that way rem   ” he’d twisted to point at what had been west for us last night when we went to bed, but froze pointing in its direction. Awareness that instant of the setting sun shining on his back. He refused to look and I refused to hold my sobbing in any longer.
Talon  p.s.
‘Story Teasers’
Talon’s Fictions of Dark Fantasy and Erotica

No comments:

Post a Comment